How it Works
s important to note that Credit Builder is not a credit card and can be opened at age 16 and older (cosigner required for applicants under 18 years old).
A credit score is important to qualify for home loans, auto loans, credit cards and a whole lot more. Having a high score will save you a lot of money by qualifying you for potential lower interest rates.
How does UCCU Credit Builder Work?
UCCU will lend you a fixed amount of money (between $500-$5,000) with a small monthly payment, and then place those funds into a special savings account that will be used to make your monthly payments. As your monthly payments are made, your credit history builds.
Simply put, Credit Builder is the fast-track way to building or rebuilding your credit.
Customize Your Credit Builder Loan
Your Credit Builder Loan can be customized to fit your needs. A UCCU loan expert can help determine which loan amount and duration works best for you.
- Loan Amount: UCCU will deposit between $500 and $5,000 into a Credit Builder savings account that will be used to pay off your Credit Builder loan.
- Loan Duration: You can choose a loan duration between one and five years. A longer loan duration comes with a lower monthly payment, as well as more time to build your credit history. A shorter loan duration enables you to pay off the loan faster and save on interest.
Every Credit Builder comes with a low interest rate, which results in a small amount of interest you’ll be required to pay off over the duration of the loan. Click to view the current interest rate.
- For example, let’s say you open a Credit Builder in the amount of $1,000, with a loan duration of two years, and the interest rate is 6.00% fixed APR. With this scenario, you would pay a total of $24.95 in interest as part of your Credit Builder Loan.
Credit Builder Accounts
Due to the unique nature of this loan program, opening a UCCU Credit Builder requires opening two new accounts:
- Credit Builder Loan Account: This is your actual loan account, where you will make your Credit Builder monthly payments to.
- Credit Builder Savings Account: After you open your Credit Builder, your funds will be deposited and frozen inside a Credit Builder savings account. UCCU will automatically unfreeze the portion of the funds each month to be used to make your monthly payments until your loan is repaid in full.
Both accounts are easy to view anytime inside UCCU’s digital banking.
What is the Initial Deposit?
UCCU will lend you the money to pay back the loan.
- If you took out a $1,000 UCCU Credit Builder Loan, then UCCU would give you $1,000 into your Credit Builder Savings Account to pay back the $1,000 Credit Builder Loan.
You will be required to make an initial deposit in the amount of two-month’s payment at account setup. These funds will be used to pay off all of the interest associated with your loan.
- Let’s continue with the example of a Credit Builder Loan in the amount for $1,000 with a loan duration of two years, and an interest rate of 6.00% fixed APR. With this scenario, you would have a monthly payment of $44.32, which would require an initial deposit from you of $88.64.
Beyond the initial deposit, your Credit Builder comes with no out-of-pocket costs to you. If you are looking to repair a negative credit history from late payments or judgements additional out-of-pocket expenses may apply.
What are my options for payment methods?
UCCU Credit Builder comes with two options for making your monthly payments:
- Automatic Payments: Making on-time payments is one of the most important things you can do to raise your credit score. That’s why we recommend setting up automatic payments. It’s simply the best way to be sure you never miss a payment.
- Manual Payments: You can also make manual payments each month by calling UCCU or stopping by any branch during regular business hours.
What happens after my Credit Builder Loan is paid off?
Once your Credit Builder Loan is paid off, any remaining funds in your Credit Builder Savings account will be unlocked and be made available to you.
How can I open a Credit Builder Loan?
You can open a Credit Builder over the phone (801) 223-8188, or by stopping by any UCCU branch. Approval is fast and easy, regardless of your income or employment status.
The minimum age to open a Credit Builder is 16 years old. A Cosigner is required for applicants under 18 years old.
Get Started Today!
A UCCU Credit Builder expert will help answer any questions and get you on your way to building a credit history and a strong credit score. You can monitor your score inside of UCCU’s online banking.